Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Boredom Equals Danger

There is virtually nothing in my house right now that is safe from my craft spree I have been on lately. I can almost see the things in this house cringing when I look at them like they are thinking "Oh man...is she going to turn me into something else?!" Yes...I probably would if I could. There is a beautiful little black frame that my husband bought me as a gift that might possibly be the only thing safe in the house that I am not willing to rip apart, mod podge, or hot glue at this point.

Here it is in fact. The one thing I own I promise I will NEVER use for crafting purposes. What a great husband I have!


"You are the one who makes me smile."

Anyway...yesterday I got bored. I was not bored in the sense that I had nothing at all to do. No. I had lots of cleaning and things I should be working on but I was bored in the sense that it was absolutely nothing that I wanted to do. That's always a problem for me. I need to have the proper motivation and you can never tell what that's going to be at any given time. I don't know if anyone else has this problem. I kind of hope so because sometimes I feel like SUCH a slacker because of it. Instead of cleaning I had decided to try and finish up Christmas decorating which I feel like I will never be done with but not because I have SO much to put out but just because I keep coming up with so many neat ideas.

I had this sign that I saw at the Dollar store that I thought was just hilarious. I put it out last year but this year I just wasn't feeling it. I wanted something that was a little more country and felt like it fit into our home more. I love, love, love the warm country farmhouse look. That is what I am trying to achieve in our house. Little by little it is coming together. Good thing it's not coming together too quickly or I would be out of things to work on. LOL

This was a fun project yesterday while the girls were napping and our son was at school. Here's the original sign which I do still find funny.



I looked at this and thought boy I would love to redo this but I do think it's funny and I don't know if I feel like dealing with all the sparkles on the front....then I flipped it over!
The back was PERFECT and already painted a nice red for Christmas. I also just happened to have some scrapbook paper to put on it.


I only used the top portion of this paper above that I already had in my stash. I can't wait to figure out what to use the bottom half for. I just love that little house! I carefully printed out NOEL from Word in a font and size that would work and PATIENTLY cut out the letters from some red card stock type scrapbook paper which matched the back of the sign. What a pain but it was worth it.


I used Mod Podge underneath and on top of the cut piece of scrapbook paper. Then I placed the letters on carefully after the first layer of Mod Podge dried and did a layer over the letters. This is what I ended up with.






I like it. It's cute and simple but I don't think I am totally finished with this. I may run to Michael's and get a sprig of berries to hot glue to the sides of the sign or something.

This was a fun little project, cost me nothing at all, and I don't think it looks too bad!

1 comment: