Thursday, March 3, 2011

Morning Devotion

I started a new morning/evening devotion. I love listening to Alistair Begg and he had suggested reading from Proverbs in the morning for wisdom to start your day and the Psalms in the evening before bed. I thought that sounded good and I love what I read this morning. It has really been making me think. I started from the beginning as he suggested rather than jumping around.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction."
Proverbs 1:7

My study bible defines knowledge here as the focus on correct understanding of the world and oneself as creatures of the magnificent and loving God.

It then goes on in the study notes to define wisdom as the acquired skill of applying that knowledge rightly or as skill in the art of godly living.

When I look back to before I was saved I really knew nothing. Nothing correctly that is. My thoughts and opinions were like leaves in the wind. Any idea that 'seemed' appropriate or right was what I adopted. That was tough. There was never a set thing saying what was definitively right and what was wrong. What was right for one person may not have been what was right for someone else. I would never have told someone they were wrong. It was just what worked for them. How do you really live like that. When there is no wrong or right...well...that's just not right. I have no problem telling someone now that they are wrong. I still love them and am tolerant of them but facts are facts. Our culture has recently changed the definition of tolerance to try and force someone into more than just tolerating someone and views that are different to out right needing to affirm their lifestyle choices. God tells us what is right. Who am I to question Him. He is perfect. There are right and wrong ways to live in this life. That does not dimish the fact that God made us all different and unique but it does not negate the fact that there are still wrong ways to live.

I think I'm going to go with God on this one. He created us. He redeemed us. He most certainly is in the position to tell us right from wrong. If you don't believe that then you're wrong...but I still love you!  (o:

God is showing me through His word that there most certainly are rights and wrongs. He is so merciful and gracious to tell us what those are and He shows us how we are to live our lives. That is amazing to me. That the Creator of this universe and everything in it would love us enough to tell us how we are to live. He doesn't just leave us here to stumble around and try to figure it out on our own. He gave us an instruction manual. With our eyes on Him, we are able to attain knowledge. It's not something we could attain apart from God.

How amazing is our God that He is weaving the story of human history even today. How amazing still that He told us how it will end.



Now off to paint something on this beautiful, sunny day!

I hope you have a blessed day! †

·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· ஐ Rebecca ·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· ஐ

No comments:

Post a Comment